THE CEMETERY AT TEMPLE BALSALL
A memorial safety inspection has now completed at Temple Balsall Cemetery.
Memorials which failed the inspection and could pose a potential hazard to visitors, contractors and employees have been marked with a yellow sticker.
Members of the public are advised to take note of the warning signs and exercise caution near these memorials.
Balsall Parish Council is now in the process of contacting the grave owners so that they may take steps for the memorial in their ownership to be made safe. Grave owners and relatives can request more information from Balsall Parish Council:
01676 535679 firstname.lastname@example.org
USE OF THE CEMETERY CAR PARK
BALSALL PARISH COUNCIL ASKS THAT THE CAR PARK IS USED ONLY BY THOSE VISITING THE CEMETERY AND FOR INTERMENTS.
PLEASE ENSURE THE GATES ARE CLOSED WHEN YOU LEAVE THE CAR PARK.
THIS IS TO ENSURE THAT ACCESS CAN BE MAINTAINED FOR GROUNDS MAINTENANCE VEHICLES.
Balsall Parish Council established the Parish Cemetery in 1920 when the Burial ground for the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Temple Balsall became full. Two acres of land were purchased from the Governors of the Foundation of Lady Katherine Leveson for £50.
The cemetery is located in Temple Lane, Temple Balsall between Knowle and Balsall Common off the B4101, The carpark is located on the left just past the lych-gate. If you use a satnav the post code is B93 0AL,
A lych-gate in memory of the men of Balsall who died during the Great War was erected and the cemetery was consecrated by the Bishop of Birmingham in 1921. A further inscription on the lych-gate arch was added to commemorate the dead of World War Two.
War graves and Harry Williams
The grave of Harry Williams, co-author of “It’s a Long, Long Way to Tipperary” can be found in the older part of the cemetery. Balsall Common Lions recently cleaned and renovated the grave.
A footpath known locally as The Breadwalk runs behind the school and Foundation of Lady Katherine Leveson in Temple Balsall toward St Mary the Virgin Church and onto the cemetery. Harry Williams grave can be found at the cemetery end of the Breadwalk.
In the NorthWest area of St Mary’s cemetery lies the only recorded World War 1 grave of RAF Cadet PJ Evans aged 18.
In the Warwickshire Graves Registration Report Form there are four World War 2 graves – three can be found together in the southeast corner of the cemetery: F/O Voller, Cadet Davis, F/O Hyde. The fourth, P/O Truelove is buried in a family grave to the left of the path from the lych-gate.
The cemetery has increased in size: a quarter of an acre in 1970 and a further 2 acres more recently.
Balsall Parish Council continues to maintain and manage the cemetery. In 2017 the Friends of Temple Balsall Cemetery Group was formed from volunteers of the U3A Garden Group, Balsall Common Lions and Balsall Parish Councillors with the aim to help maintain and keep the grounds tidy.
The Memorial Garden for scattering ashes was completed in 2017 and the first memorial plaque has been attached to the Memorial Wall.
If anyone has any historic information available please do send the information we would be happy to include on our website.
For any information concerning the cemetery including records of burials, please contact the Balsall Parish Council Clerk:
01676 535679( ansaphone out of hours)
287/289 Kenilworth Road, Balsall Common, Solihull, West Midlands CV7 7EL
The cemetery fee structure is available here.
Application for Transfer of Grave Ownership forms